Thursday, August 11, 2011

There's more to Spain than a lisp, right?

¡Claro que sí!

Even with only one month in Spain over a year ago, I still have plenty to say about it.  Because I didn't have the foresight to make a blog about that trip, I'm going to use my time waiting for the letter from Spain to share a little about when I was in Malága.

One of the most memorable parts of being in Malága was that while I was there Spain was playing in the Mundial 2010 (World Cup of soccer in South Africa).  All of us would go to the usual bar, watch the team play, and snack on berenjena frita (fried eggplant with molasses) or jamón serrano (dry-cured ham).  I left Malága just a few days before the final, but we won!! (Please note: I now refer to Spain's national football team and FC Barcelona as my team and we).

During the second-to-last weekend I decided to travel to Madrid and since no one from my group wanted to join me, I went alone.  It was amazing to take a train to and explore the capital city.  It was only a five minute walk to the Royal Palace and Plaza Mayor.  A double decker tour bus allowed me to see all the landmarks of the city.  I spent hours in el mueso Prado and stood nose-to-nose with paintings I learned about in class, relaxed in a park like locals,  and even spent a few moments in Egypt

Long story short, Malága and Spain were wonderful, shocking, unforgettable, life changing.



No comments:

Post a Comment